Saturday 19 June 2010

Some unexpected gems discovered.

While I was on holiday I didn't go out on the hunt for costume specifically, but I always keep an eye out and it's awlays nice to stumble across some delicious examples to add to my research library.

My first discovery was tucked away in a cupboard of all places in the delightful National Trust property of Townend. Out of the light, but such a shame! I wasn't able to get any photos sadly, but sheltered in the dark was an 1830s wedding gown in delightful sprigged silk. Although undoubtedly faded, the silk was still crisp and would likely have been a rich cream or even a primrose yellow (a popular colour of the period). The gown itself was simple in style with a waistband about an inch wide at the fashionable height between underbust and natural waist. Full leg o' mutton sleeves taper down to tight cuffs and the skirt falls in folds from the gathered waistline. The most interesting and distinguishing feature of the gown was the capelet style collar. Two tiers which tapered down to rounded points extended to the waistline, edged in piping. Although indistinguishable, I suspect the capelet extends into a single rounded point at the centre back.

No comments: